China Student Visa (X)



Student Visas are divided into two categories - X1 and X2. X1 is for foreigners who come to China for study or fieldwork for more than 6 months. X2 is issued to those who arrive with same purpose but for a period of less than 6 months.


First off, the organization must be suitably accredited for offering courses or internships to foreigners. They’ill send you a JW201 or JW202 form and an admission letter. Submit these along with your application along with a photocopy. Keep a photocopy for yourself.


You are not permitted to work on an X visa. You should contact your university or employer after you are settled to see what can be arranged if it turns out you need to work. Any foreign students who violate the regulations on the administration of foreign students working to support their study in China and work beyond the prescribed scope of jobs or time limit, shall be deemed unlawful and have to stop or be expelled.


X1 holders must apply for a Temporary Residence Permit from the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) within 30 days upon entry into China. The temporary residence permit can be issued with a validity of between 180 days to 5 years. X2 holders must stay in China within the duration period as indicated on the visa. It’s not necessary for them to apply for the temporary residence permit.


1. Passport valid for six months with at least one blank page.
2. Fully completed Application Form.
3. One recent passport photo. Full face, no hat, and against a plain, light background.
4. Original and copy of approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form JW201 or JW202 (X1 application only).
5. Original and copy of Admission Notice from the university or Chinese school.


Note: Foreigners applying for a Chinese Medical Internship must include the original and a copy of Application Form for Medical Internship and Admission Notice for training in practice issued by their university.


How to Apply
1. Submit the application to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in person.
2. It’s permitted to entrust someone else, e.g. friend, relative or a travel or visa agency to act on your behalf if you can't attend personally. Power of attorney not required.
3. Mailed applications are not accepted and will be refused by most of Chinese embassies or consulates.
4. Appointment is generally not required. If you are required to submit your application to the CVASC, you may need to make an online appointment via their website.

Processing Time
The regular processing time is 4 working days. If you wish to collect your visa earlier, then express and rush services are available. For the express service there is 2-3 working days processing and an extra US$20 will be charged. For the rush service there is only 1 working day of processing; but an extra US$30 will be charged.

Visa Fees
The fee for the X visa should be the same as the fee for other types of Chinese visa. Generally speaking, Chinese embassies or consulates only issue a single entry on the X visa, so bear this mind. If you’re applying in the U.S. the fee is around US$140 for American citizens, US$30 for other nationalities.


© 2015 All rights reserved.