China Family Reunion Visa (Q)


China Q visa is designed specifically for Chinese descendants or foreigners who are spouses of Chinese citizens. It usually allows up to 120 days per visit and permits multiple entries for up to 10 years for US passport holder. Non-US passport holders can receive 90 days stay per visit but with only single or double entry valid for 3 or 6 months. The Q visa is further divided into two subclasses: Q1 and Q2.


Q1 is issued to relatives of Chinese citizens applying to enter and reside in China for purposes of family reunion, and to those who apply for a family reunion of foreigners with Permanent Residency in China. Q2 is issued to relatives of Chinese citizens or foreigners with permanent residence in China for a short period of stay (less than 6 months).


Q1 is generally issued with a single entry and 30 days, and the holders must apply for Temporary Residence Permit within 30 days after entry. The residence permit can be granted for a minimum of 90 days and a maximum of 5 years. So, holders can exit and reenter freely during the validity of the residence permit. Q2 is flexible from 30 to 180 days, allows single, double, or multiple entries, and the holders can stay in China within the duration period as indicated on visa.



1. Original passport valid for more than 6 months, with a blank page, and a copy of the information page.

2. Completed application form with a recent color passport-sized photo attached.

3. For family reunions, an invitation letter from the family member residing in China with a Chinese permanent residence permit is required. The invitation letter should contain:

a. Information on the applicant (full name, gender, date of birth, etc.)
b. Information on the visit ( purpose of visit, intended arrival date, place(s) of intended residence, intended duration of residence, arrival and departure dates, relation of the applicant to the inviting entity or individual, and financial source for expenditures)
c. Information on the inviting individual (name, contact number, address, official stamp, signature of the inviting individual, etc.)

4. Proof of family relationship (original and copy) such as Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate, etc. (this is required for Q1 application only)

5. Photocopy of the Chinese ID of the inviting individual or foreign passport and permanent residence permit.

If the purpose of your visit to China is for fosterage, adoption or other reasons, the following documents are required:

a. Foster entrustment notarization issued by Chinese Embassies/Consulates General in foreign countries or Foster Care Power of Attorney notarized and authenticated in the country of residence or in China.
b. Original and photocopy of the consignor's passport(s), as well as the original and photocopy of certification (marriage certificate, birth certificate, certification of kinship issued by Public Security Bureau or notarized certification of kinship) notarized and authenticated certification showing the relationship between parents or guardians and children.
c. A letter of consent for foster care issued by the trustee living in China who has agreed to provide foster care services and a photocopy of the ID of the trustee.
d. A photocopy of the certificate indicating the permanent residence status abroad of the parent(s) when the child was born provided that one or both parents of the child are Chinese citizens.


How to Apply

Applicants should visit their Chinese embassy, consulate or Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC) for application either in person or via a third party. Most Chinese embassies and consulates do not accept applications by mail. Although CVASC in some countries/regions will allow it.


Processing Time

Normal processing takes about 4 working days. The applicant should apply at least one month prior to the intended travel. If the Express/Urgent Processing is approved by the Chinese embassy or consulate, there’ll be an extra fee accordingly.


Visa Fees

The fees for the Q visa are the same as the fees for other types of Chinese visa. Generally, fees vary according to nationality and numbers of entry. For US passport holders, the fee will be about US$140.


© 2015 All rights reserved.